Posted by : I AM JANEL Saturday, February 8, 2014

I love when I get to converse with teachers who value their students as leaders, instead of students. I came across Dan Rockwell's article "Employees and Customers Aren't First" on twitter.  Our tweet conversation is as follows:


My Reply:

Hi Dan,  I agree with your title.  As you state in your article,  it is true that companies and corporations have built successful business models by either putting the customer first or the employee.

I work at a financial firm. I find this to be true about myself and everyone else. When I am in the role of an employee, I want to be considered first because I have core value to my company.  When I am a customer I want to be considered first because I am spending my money.

In both situations, I am right.  How can that be? Other than everyone's need for appreciation, an employee does not have the same needs as a customer and a customer does not have the same needs as an employee.

Customer needs: Give me my product or service in a timely manner and make me feel good about my purchase and I will return.

Employee: Recognize my efforts, and if I am in error, train me in away that I can understand.  Pay me on time and make me feel good in my work environment and I will work harder to please the customer and grow with you.  Did I say pay me on time for my time?  Very important.

The humanist in me says, "Stop categorizing the individual into customer or employee. Put the individual first."  Show me a company that understands this and I'll show you a company that will change the world around them.

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

A Leader is a Symbol of Something Greater

Our Featured Leader Nelson Mandela

Featured Post

- Copyright © I Teach Leaders -Metrominimalist- Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -